Lying in the Placentianum Pliocene hills, its a prefectly preserved medieval village and has recently been included in the circuit Italy’s most beautiful boroughs . The town planning develops on the village, with Borghetto and Monteguzzo quarters, and the monumental centre. It’s got very ancient origins, probably going back to the roman time: The village belonged to Piacenza’s bishop up to 1220 , then to the Scotti, Visconti and Sforza landlords; finally, it was handed over to Parma’s Camera Ducale. In 2005 it was awarded the territory quality certificate Orange Flag (a quality certificate) by Touring Club Italiano.According to some researchers, its name derives from that of the first founder: the nobleman Caius Torquatus, hence the name Castel Torquato. According to other researchers the name derives from ‘castellum arcuatum’, which means village located on a promontory.