The Library Passerini-Landi was created in 1791 from the merger of the “Royal Library”, established by Ferdinand of Bourbon with books donated by the Jesuits, with the “Library Passerini,” pertaining to the Board of Theologians. During the Napoleonic government, a government decree of 1811 declared the library “Comunitativa” entrusting the administration to the Municipality of Piacenza. During the “Restoration” the transfer of the library to the municipality became final.
The 1878 statute, approved by the Municipality Council, changed the name of the library with “Passerini-Landi”. The Council wanted to celebrate Count Pier Francesco Passerini, who lived in the seventeenth century, considered the precursor of the library foundation as well as Ferdinando Landi who gathered in the first half of century the precious volumes that once belonged to him and then his heirs handed over to the Municipality. The library patrimony is divided in an ancient fund, a modern fund, Del Boca and Merli fund from the Historical Fund of Resistance and Contemporary History.
The Passerini-Landi library is actually part of a Library Service Circle which includes several libraries located in different spots around Piacenza.
In the last decade the Library has been enriched by volumes in Italian and foreign languages, basic essays, books for children and teenagers (Giana Anguissola Library), a rich collection of movies, music, drama and documentaries.