The museum occupies an area of 3500 square metres and hosts some precious scientific collections.
It is located in the former abattoir area, inside a building dating back to 1912 which was used as ice house to preserve food and meat. In the rooms of the museums there are remains of plants, animals, stones, minerals, fossils and much more.
In the lower level there are also some themed display cases on the Apennine area dedicated to birds, animals, flowers and plants.
The museum also hosts temporary exhibits about nature, the environment and ecology.
Services: guided tours, laboratories, conferences, training courses for teachers and students.
In the museum there is a small library not accessible to the public, which offers specialised documents – but also popularised texts – for students. The texts can be accessed upon reservation by specialists and teachers.