Building started in 1925 and finished in1928. The plant occupies a 26.000 Sq.m surface, 6.700 of which are covered. All the buildings composing the plant are made of concrete beams and pillars and of bricks.This plant is an important witness of the industrial architecture of the time and also a relevant example of the use of concrete in industrial plants. It was radically restored after the war, with the acquisition of further 30.000 Sq.m . The plants were definitely closed down in december 1985.
Piero Portaluppi – Architect (Milano 1888, 1967). He was one of the most remarkable representatives of Northern Italy’s architectural renewal. He built several Power Plants , with M. Semenza, he won the contest for Milan city development plan; here he built the Planetarium and several houses .He also worked in Buenos Aires and in S.Paulo in Brasil.Warning: the power plant isn’t open to the public.
It’s possible to request partial visits to the area by appointment and for a limited number of adults.