The Museum of Sacred Art is located in Ottone, one of the last towns in the province of Piacenza along the Trebbia Valley. The museum is fairly recent, in fact it was opened in 2001 thanks to the support of the municipal administration.
The Collection of the Ottone Museum of Sacred Art.
The collection of works preserved within the museum is decidedly varied in terms of type and quality of pieces. The exhibition itinerary is developed in three rooms located on the ground and mezzanine floors of the municipal building.
The collection includes candlesticks, ancient volumes, reliquaries, but above all a large corpus of liturgical textiles including the Doria cope.
The artifacts on display come from churches in the area (especially from isolated buildings at risk of theft and degradation) and from private collections.
Of particular interest among the reliquaries is a monstrance specimen made of embossed silver foil on a wooden support. It is an object that documents the style of Genoese craftsmen, traceable in this area of Piacenza for reasons related to its geographical proximity to the Ligurian city.
The oldest piece housed by the museum is a bronze bell from the old church of San Bartolomeo, located near the village cemetery, bearing the date 1355.