The monastery takes its name from San Raimondo, a pious man, a lively and active pilgrim who worshipped Christ, and founded the first hospitals in Piacenza. In 1175 AD Raimondo founded his hospital and when he died he was buried in the church bearing his name.
After the first decade of the 15th century, the convent passed under the direction of Cistercian nuns who changed their name into San Raimondo nuns. They remained there until 1827, when Napoleon eliminated all religious orders. In 1827 a Benedictine nun restored and reopened the monastery, which became a college and middle school.
After the impulse of the Second Vatical Council, in 1967 the college and school were closed to transform the building into a cloistered convent.
Being a Benedictine monastic community, Opus Dei, lectio, silence and work are at the basis of the convent rule, a place that still lies at the heart of the city.
Recently, a guest house in a monastery wing has been opened. It has a direct access to San Raimondo church and to the monastery reception, 10-12 beds and a large living room, a kitchen, to allow guests to enjoy a “spiritual break” attending masses and praying in the quiet San Raimondo church. Guests can also ask for a personal lectio to meditate, or individual meetings.
Currently, the monastery houses 11 nuns.