The history of this building dates back to 1514, when it was decided to build it to preserve an image of Mary which had become a popular devotion object. This church was used to assist people sentenced to capital punishment (the scaffold was near the square) and the people in charge were lay Capuchines, appointed by the bishop Burali to substitute Saint John’s Fraternity. The primitive temple was much smaller that the present one, which dates back to the half of the seventeenth century. The church preserves a Blessed Paolo Burali by Gaspare Landi, a Crucifix by Robert de Longe and a S.Disma by Giuseppe Gherardi. It is still the headquarters of one of the three lay fraternities existing in the diocese: S. Maria in Torricella’s Fraternity.