This area of Lugagnano village is undoubtedly one of the most important archaeological sites of Emilia Romagna. It is formed by a protohistoric group of people probably dating back to the Iron Age, to become later on a wealthy Roman Municipium, chief city of a large area that vanished around the 6th century AD. Tradition recalls how the mountain wall above the village collapsed and caused the catastrophe that buried the settlers. Veleia was discovered in 1747 thanks to the finding of Tabula Alimentaria Traianea, though most of its original structure is yet to be brought to light. Tabula Alimentaria Traianea is a bronze sheet with a law engraved on it, mentioning a loan with low interest to all peasants who accepted to take care of children. After this finding, excavation campaigns continued until archaeologists found the foundations of the forum and some other buildings; 12 marble statues (among which Livia, emperor Augustus’s wife) and many other small bronze statues, coins, medals, inscriptions, small tools and another bronze tabula with prescriptions to municipia in Gallia Cisalpina. In the same area was also found a spa (Thermae).
Close by the archaeological site there is the Antiquarium, a small museum with findings from recent excavations and descriptions of the history, a plan and moulds to see the splendid Veleia in its original structure.