Main religious centre in Monticelli, it was designed by Giovanni Battagio and ordered by Carlo Pallavicino between 1471 and 1480. Its architectural prophile, in gothic-longobardic style, was greatly modified in the 17th, 18th, 19th centuries. The façade, for instance, is neogothic, and it was designed and carried out by the architect Edoardo Arborio Mella in 1878.
The interior is very rich, and was mainly decorated by artists from Cremona. The following items deserve a particular mention: Roberto De Longe’s paintings and frescoes in the presbitery and in the choir (S.Lorenzo’s stories), Malosso’s paintings (S.Lucia, S.Cecilia and S.Caterina from Alessandria, S.Girolamo, S.Giuseppe’s Transit), Altobello Melone’s Chapel of the Rosarys Holy Virgin, the frescoes in the vaulting cells and in the lunettes, paintings representing Stories of the Virgin, by Giovan Battista Natali and, finally, Giuseppe Giudici’s marble altar.
The church has a Latin cross plan and three naves. Since it was very important, Pio XII promoted it to Basilica.