The church of San Giovanni in Canale was founded by the Dominicans in 1220.
It got an extension in the middle of the XVI century. Namely the church was enlarged in its tree spans and its apse.
The building was renovated many times, but it still contains many elements from the Middle Age.
Inside San Giovanni in Canale Church
The interior of the church is structured in three naves, the marvelous Gothic style is essential, it’s mostly characterised by the cotto floor and a white blocks decoration.
Many are the burial monuments, among them one of the most remarkable is the funeral ark of the Scotti Family (XV century), coffin carved in Verona marble and the funeral chapel for the Arcelli family in Gothic style (XIV century).
Inside of the neoclassical chapel there’s a canvas painting of Gaspare Landi ” Salita al Calvario”, a famous painter from Piacenza who replaced Canova as a director of the Academy of San Luca in Rome.