It was built in 1342, upon will of Luchino Visconti, on a former castrum quadratum in Castell’Arquato, that had been built by the Romans in the 3rd century b.c.as a defence against the Gauls.
The fortress hasn’t been modified throughout the centuries. It’s never been a stately residence; its function was solely military. The only part with rooms is the donjon, once used as prison.
According to a legend, Laura and Sergio, Castell’arquato’s famous lovers, were imprisoned here.
The whole building can be visited. Currently the donjon hosts the Museo di vita medievale (Museum of Medieval Life): in some rooms have been reconstructed typical Medieval settings (the gaol, the garrison room with armours, the tavern) and in other rooms there are panels presenting the history of the Fortress and historical notes on Castell’Arquato.