Created by the nobleman Giuseppe Ricci Oddi (1868-1937) who donated it to the city, it was inaugurated in 1931;the Gallery gathers over 700 works by artists from the 18th century up to the present day, and is one of the most remarkable of the kind in Italy. Giuseppe Ricci Oddi was a personal friend of art critics and gallery directors, but above all of some important painters of the period between the late 19th century and the first decades of the 20th century, among whom he preferred the Tuscan Macchiaioli and Antonio Fontanesi. Giuseppe Ricci Oddi made an accurate selection of works: among 20th century painters, works worth of notice are those by Boccioni, Carrà, Campigli, Funi, De Pisis, Morandi, Casorati, Tosi, Carena, Cassinari. Also works by Boldini, De Nittis, Fattori, Pellizza da Volpedo, Medardo Rosso, Ricchetti, Bruzzi, Wildt, Hayez, Cremona, Previati, Segantini, Morbelli are meaningful. The exhibiting rooms are 19: Emiliani, Toscani, Liguri and Piemontesi, Orientalisti, Antonio Fontanesi, Fontanesiani, Lombardi, Scapigliati, Lombardi, Piacentini, Stefano Bruzzi, Antonio Mancini, Italian 20th century, Italian 20th century, Southern Italy Painting, Vincenzo Irolli, Symbolism, Foreign Painters, Veneto.
Since November 2020 the hall hosts “Portrait of a Lady” by Gustav Klimt. The painting was stolen in 1997 and found in 2019. Under the painting there is a lost portrait by Klimt “Backisch”.